Thursday, October 12, 2006

Tough decision on Election Day

On election day, we have a choice in Southwest Houston between Democrat Hubert Vo and Republican Talmadge Heflin. I'm a Christian, a homeschooler and a taxpayer. Those factors are the heaviest influences in my voting decisions. I don't want a representative who will take away my rights as a Christian to speak as Christ commanded. I don't want a representative who will take away my rights as a homeschooler. I don't want a representative who will spend my hard-earned tax money wastefully.

In 2004, Vo won by an extremely narrow margin - 29 votes (20,693 - Vo, 20,662 - Heflin). He did win, however, even after what I consider to be excessive recount requests by his opponent. So, I have watched his tenure over the last two years with interest.

He has changed requirements in schools that will adversely affect homeschoolers, requiring "students entering 9th grade in 2007 and later will be required to take four years of science and math." Students with no aptitude in science or math will be receiving lower grades as a result of this requirement. Regardless of the student's strengths, they will be forced to take courses that will be of no benefit during their life. Homeschoolers are opposed to this sort of legislation because it removes one of the main reasons we homeschool - to ensure our students obtain the best education in line with their strengths and weaknesses. The old line "You can't teach a pig to sing" applies here.

Vo also supports the rights of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people to marry. I received a phone call today from the Houston GLBT PAC supporting Vo for this reason. I'm sorry, but this violates the laws laid down by our Creator. Marriage is between one man and one woman. Will it hurt America to allow individuals to marry as they see fit? This is a path to destruction. Marriage is a sacred arrangement that has already suffered dearly at the hands of people who see it as a license for sex. Removing the barriers now in place on marriage will only remove the need for marriage at all.

Finally, Vo supported a property tax cap, but not an appraisal cap. When I moved into my house in 1999, it was appraised by the county at $92,000. In 2003 it was appraised at $132,000. That's a nearly 50% increase in only four years, and that amounts to a 50% tax increase over four years. Texas is already spending more money than it can obtain, and boldly claims that it has not raised the tax rate. I cannot support a legislator that will not actually limit the amount of taxes I pay.

Now, what about Talmadge Heflin? He is a conservative. Though some say he's out of touch with the district, I think he's the better of the two candidates.

He supports education, but not imposing arbitrary requirements on all students. He wants to see all students succeed, not only those with strong science and math aptitude. His record demonstrates that he is opposed to pouring more money into a system that is not working.

Heflin is dedicated to closing the border with Mexico. Few can see the major problems of thousands of criminals breaking into our country for a free ride. Heflin can see the problem. He is working to solve the problem.

And, he is working hard to lower the cap on property taxes and appraisals. Though it's a hard sell in a money-hungry state government, he does not want to be taxed out of his home any more than I do.

I will vote, again, for Talmadge Heflin in 2006. I pray that he will win this election, and take my concerns to the Capitol. If you are in Texas Representative District 149, please vote for Heflin as well.

Nobody asked me to write this. Nobody paid me anything to write this. I am doing this on my own free will, exercising my right to free speech as an American.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home