Thursday, June 01, 2006

SUMMER BREAK!!!!! Woohoo!

Yeah, Summer Break. It kinda-sorta applies to homeschoolers, too. I had a great week. Dumped my kids at the grandparents and came back home. They returned today - with their cousin. Next week, it'll just be us.

We're going to do some short lessons - make up for lost time during the regular season when I was just getting started. One day I'll post the reason it's Dad and not Mom doing the homeschooling. I'm finding I'm a rare breed. Well, I'm rambling again, hence the title of the blog.

OK - Summer Break. What are our plans? Well, I'm going to teach elementary-level science this fall with a home-school group here in Houston. So, I'm going to get started on that this summer with another homeschool family. Test the waters, so-to-speak. But we'll have fun making things fizz and flare and 'magically' change color. Stuff like the 'cabbage juice litmus test' and the 'fizzing candy'. Yeah, it's going to be a lot of fun.

Also - a neat thing about homeschooling is working everyday life into lessons - like when we drove down to Corpus Christi. Earlier this year we were discussing various types of communities: Farming, Fishing, Industrial, Tourist, etc. Well, on the way down, we go through many farming towns, several industrial towns, a few fishing towns and Corpus Christi covers all four. We were able to discuss why towns and cities have grown the way they have, and what each has to offer. Hands-on lessons are so much better than books and lectures!

See ya later!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home